Friday, June 25, 2010

How to Eat Out Frugally

I've entered this grocery challenge that started last Sunday. In this challenge, I only have $100/week to feed our family of 4. Not that big of a deal for me who spends less than half of that on groceries but that total also included eating out, parties, and anything involving food throughout the week. Herein lies the challenge for us! How do we eat out on the cheap? Our family can easily spend $50 to eat out. So, here's some ideas I've learned recently on how to cut that restaurant tab.

1. Buy an Entertainment Book: When they first come out, these books cost $35. That sounds like a lot to me, even with all the coupons and discounts it comes with. But I learned that if you wait till like February or March, that price gets cut in half! I bought one the beginning of March and paid only $15, plus I just got next year's book for only $20! There are dozens and dozens of coupons and what's really great is the online coupons. Not only do they have more local coupons, but also coupons for all over the country! So if you're going on vacation, be sure to look and see what's available.

2. Restaurant.com: I love this website! It makes pricier dinners way more affordable. Our favorite sushi place is on here and we wait for the first of the month to grab $25 gift certificates for $3-$5 (depending on the sale going on). Check it out! Maybe your favorite restaurants are there too!

3. Restaurants Facebook Pages: Yesterday, I did not feel like cooking. It was hot and sticky and heating up the house to make dinner was not an option in my mind. But I didn't want to spend much money either. Then I remembered Del Taco sent me an email saying there was a coupon on their Facebook page. Bingo! Buy any item, get a Taco del Carbon for free! Not only was my mom and I able to get dinner for $2.15 total (Bought 2 nachos, got 2 tacos for free), but it was within my calorie target range. Problem solved. Be sure to look up some of your favorite restaurants on Facebook! There's always coupons out there.

4. Visit a restaurant's website: I think I've blogged about this one before. Almost every chain restaurant that I know about now has an e-club you can join to get free or really cheap food. I just joined Culver's last week and they sent me a Buy 1, Get 1 free dinner. My brother and I love Culver's! We'll definitely be visiting soon! IHOP sends out a completely free breakfast or dinner coupon if you join their club.

So, there's a few ideas. Can you think of any other ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment