Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Scrumptious Living

One of my summer bucket list items is to make a new recipe every week. I'll probably do more than that over the course of the summer, but the goal is at least one. This week, I made Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs. The recipe link is HERE and my modified recipe (because I AM my mother's daughter and can't follow a recipe for the life of me!) is below. The marinade/sauce was wonderful. My chicken was a bit dry because 1) I didn't marinate the chicken overnight and 2) I defrosted it in the microwave. I just didn't think about dinner until a couple hours before! Oh well. I used fresh spices instead of ground because I actually didn't have dried in the house! Whoa... what a concept :) I also added crushed pinapple and it's juice to the marinade instead of skewering pinepple chunks to the kabobs. And lastly, I added vegetables to the skewers (zucchini, bell pepper, and onion) to give it a more healthy flair. Add whatever you'd like to the skewers, it doesn't matter. Just make sure everything is about the same size so they cook at the same time!



Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients

3 T soy sauce
3 T  brown sugar
2 T sherry
1 T sesame oil
1/4 t ground ginger (I used fresh)
1/4 t garlic powder (again, I used fresh)
1/4 c crushed pineapple with it's juice
3 Large boneless chicken breasts
Vegetables (I used zucchini, bell peppers, and onion)
Wooden Skewers

Directions


1. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, pineapple and garlic. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and add to marinade. Mix until coated and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in frig for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat grill to medium heat and oil to prevent sticking.

3. Thread chicken and vegetables onto skewers. Grill for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

P.S. I made an extra batch of sauce and cooked it on the stove for a few minutes to blend the flavors and melt the sugar. If you do that, you'll have sauce to baste with while it's cooking and more to dip in!

No comments:

Post a Comment