Friday, March 19, 2010

Comfort Foods

I made two great dishes tonight. Everyone's out (but me) and so I had the kitchen all to myself. Don't worry, I worked out for almost two hours in preparation for these scrumpious recipes :). Dinner was steak sandwiches. I found this recipe on the Cooking Light website (though I'm not sure how "light" it really was). Thin sliced steak, peppers, and onions on a fresh bakery bun topped with provolone cheese. Drooling yet? It contained 365 calories per serving and I also added some green beans and coleslaw. Maybe 600 calories total? Not totally sure about that.
The steak was on sale at Rancho Liborio a couple weeks ago for $.99/lb! That's an amazing price for steak! Now I just have to find good recipes to use all of it. Any suggestions? It needs to be relatively healthy! This recipe was easy to prepare and done in under 30 minutes. Maybe a good submission for 30 minute meals?


I wanted to make this spicy asian coleslaw that I'm hoping is close to the recipe for Sunbird's slaw. But alas, I did not have a couple of ingredients when I arrived home and was too hungry and tired to go back out and get them. I'll try again tomorrow. But in the meantime, try this recipe if you like stick-to-your-ribs home cooking without the calorie count!

P.S. I'm having trouble loading another picture so I'll do a seperate blog with the other recipe.

Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
1 tsp olive oil
2 C thinly sliced onions
2 C sliced green peppers
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 C sliced mushrooms
3/4 lb top round steak, trimmed and cut thin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
4 steak rolls

Heat oil in large nonstick pan (important as you don't use a lot of oil) over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and stir-fry till lightly brown. Add mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes. Remove veggies from pan and add meat, salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce to the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
Place one slice of cheese on each bun and broil for 1 minute until cheese in melted. Top buns with meat and veggies and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment