Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Everyday


I do a lot of experimenting with new recipes. Pinterest is an all-time favorite of mine. I'm on it multiple times a week. Even when I was in over my head last year, up to my ears in school and work, I always had time for Pinterest. But there are several recipes I come back to time and again. These are the recipes I've perfected over the years or have been family favorites for decades. These are the "comfort food" recipes in my life! I hope they inspire creativity for you! These recipes are easy to make, hard to screw up, and fairly budget conscious. If you try them, let me know what you think! I'm always curious to know what others think of my recipes and opinions! What are some of your favorites?

Paglio e Fieno: This is an old family recipe. My grandmother's cousin runs a restaurant in Connecticut that serves this "family style". The picture above is my gluten free/kinda paleo version of it using zoodles. I do love my spiralizer! I also usually substitute ham for the prosciutto, as it's cheaper. This recipe is similar: Straw and Hay Pasta


Schezuan Green Beans: A grocery blog here in town posted this years ago as one of their favorite family dinners. We've been hooked ever since too! Extremely easy to modify to gluten free and/or Paleo by using gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos. The original recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated, a recipe website that you have to subscribe to to access but someone else has posted it HERE
Halal Chicken and Rice: This is a fairly new favorite that I originally had with my brother, Jeremy, on a trip to NYC. It's a street cart food there and has since grown to be one of my family's all-time favorites (actually, currently my mother is addicted to it. We've had it 3-4 times in the last month). I don't have one single recipe for this. It's pieced together from several different ones with my own tweaks but I've already blogged about it so the recipe can be found HERE.
Swedish Meatballs: My mom has been making these since I was little. They're also easy to recreate gluten free. Just substitute gluten free breadcrumbs (we like Aleia's brand best) and thicken the sauce with tapioca. And while traditionally swedish meatballs are served over egg noodles, I grew up with them over rice. Because, well, my mom is Chinese. What do you expect?! The recipe can be found HERE
Oatmeal Pork Chops: Yet another easily made gluten free meal. I couldn't find an exact recipe that is the same that we make but this ONE is similar. We usually pan fry them though, not bake them. Baking would be healthier though :). We just use gluten free oats. Bob's Red Mill oats are a good option. Serve them with applesauce and you've got one great meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment