Friday, September 27, 2013

Back to frugality

(Shore Lodge) 

Let's be honest. Nobody stays frugal ALL the time, right? Or is it just me? But I have excuses! I was going to be so good with money this past summer. Remember my whole budgeting plan? Well, that went totally out the window when I moved to Idaho! But I did get a few things done that were on my list. Like #8: go on a road trip. Definitely did that! 16 hours up and 16 hours back from Idaho! Also numbers 13 and 14: Eat something I've never had before and discover a great, new restaurant. I had never had quail before this summer. I ate it A LOT in McCall. It's on one of the banquet menus. I think I served it 6-8 times in the 11 weeks I was there. Don't like it. It's too gamey for my palette.  Also, I discovered multiple new restaurants while away from home, most notably the two housed within Shore Lodge; Lake Grill and The Narrows. Both wonderful and run by a fantastic executive chef, Steve Toppel. I highly recommend either of them if you ever get a chance to spend time in McCall. So, the summer wasn't a total bust!

 (my backyard) 

But now it's officially Fall. I'm back in Colorado Springs, back in school, back to my routines. My summer is fading from memory fast as the days go by. I've been asked multiple times by my boss, my boss's boss, my boss's boss's boss to return next summer. We'll see. By the end, I was ready to come home. 12-16 hours days on my feet is rough. My feet were very glad to come home! But maybe I'll be ready to go back by next year.

I was also SO ready to come back to my coupons! Being in a tiny town, 2 hours from any chain store, was hard on my shopping skills :) Although, working in events, there is always an abundance of leftovers that helps keep from breaking the bank in food costs! But I like to cook and so still wanted to keep a full frig. And I had a very cute, young, Chinese roommate who did not cook at all. So I HAD to keep her from starving too. Because all she ever made was ramen noodle soup and microwavable bacon. I still shudder at her eating habits! But I'm back now, to civilization, surrounding by my coupons! Let the frugalness commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment