Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A new recipe



I visited a close girlfriend last weekend who asked me to post a new recipe for you all. And so I will oblige :) I haven't been cooking a whole lot. My work schedule keeps me away during the dinner hour nowadays but I did make this one a few weekends ago. The original recipe is from the Bon Appetit website but I modified it (blame my mother if you think I can't stick to a recipe. She made me the way I am! ;) ). The recipe is now gluten and dairy free! Because that's what our family needs. You can view the non-dairy free recipe by clicking the link below (it was always gluten free, unless you put it on top of pasta or something. Which I would be inclined to do).

Chicken and Carrot Stew

2 cups thickly sliced peeled carrots
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks (I used onion instead)
1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 in. cubes
2 T cornstarch or tapioca starch
1 t chopped fresh thyme
1 t paprika
2 T olive oil
1/2 c dry white wine
1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
1/4 c coconut milk yogurt
1 T Dijon mustard
1/4 c fresh Italian parsley
Sea Salt to taste

Cook carrots in large saucepan of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Add leeks to pan with carrots and cook until carrots are tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain and set aside.

Sprinkle chicken with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk cornstarch, thyme, and paprika in medium bowl. Toss chicken in mixture.

Heat oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium- high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add wine; boil until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Scatter carrots and leeks over chicken. Add broth, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add yogurt and mustard. Stir until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Season sauce to taste with sea salt and pepper. Transfer to large shallow bowl and serve. Bon Appetit!


Calorie Content: 367 calories per 1 cup serving



No comments:

Post a Comment